Sunday, April 1, 2012

Changes...

"Why me?" the girl asks the man beside her. "What is it about me that makes you love me? I'm nothing important." Some may think she is fishing for a compliment, but in reality, she doesn't understand why he chose her.


"It's because of who you are," he smiles and replies. It's that simple. It's because of who she is, not who he thinks she should be.



So you might be wondering what this has to do with changes. To me, you don't change who you are to make someone else happy. The front will eventually begin to cause resentment and you won't respect yourself. I don't see the point in being in a relationship when the person doesn't like you for who you are. A serious commitment should be with someone who knows who you are on the inside and love you because of it. I see people talk about how they need to change this or that about themselves, because it would make so and so like them. It's sad to me.


With Monster, I have asked, "what would you change?" He always responds with, "absolutely nothing. If I did, you wouldn't be who you are." Aww, squishy, sweet feelings. I feel completely blessed because of him. He doesn't expect me to change my personality. He believes in elevating what is already inside, not changing it. So we work on bringing out what is already on the inside. He provides me with a safe sanctuary to explore and express my inner self. And that's what I feel is what having a solid relationship should do. Build you up, make you be who you are meant to be. Not make you feel like you would be better if...


I know change is inevitable. People do change. They grow up, they mature, form opinions, and change beliefs. Who they are at the core, follows those changes, but still in a way remains the same. Just altering themselves with experiences and life in general.


I can look back at myself at 12, 16, 20, 25, and even now and see that even though I have changed, I am still me. Evolving through the years and developing a newer me. I still have shyness issues, love the color pink, have a sarcastic personality, get lost in dreamland, and squeal when I get super excited. I still laugh when someone says look me in the eyes and tell me the truth. Off topic, but if you tell me to look at you and be honest, you're face always looks funny. That serious, I mean business look cracks me up. It's even worse when you add, "and don't laugh." But my point, even though I have had different experiences that have changed my viewpoints and opinions, I am still, at my very core, me. Not an illusion of what I think the world wants to see.


Ramble Over.

2 comments:

  1. I'm that girl. Daddy is devastatingly handsome, smart, accomplished, calm, confident, young, perfect (to me). I cannot imagine what he wants with old,wrinkled, too big, not pretty, not smart me. But he does - that's miraculous to me.

    I've never quite fit in anywhere. I'm a little out of step just about everywhere. That's one thing I have to give myself, I have always been just who I am. And you know, that has served me - what's that saying? Don't change so people will like you, be yourself and the right person will love you. Well, he's my right person, against all odds. Every day is a wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That girl is me, but shhh, don't tell anyone. ;)

    I've always been outta step with everyone else. My mom has always said I march to a beat only I can hear and the drummer didn't take his daily dose of ritalin. Lol, but being out of step kept me from a lot of peer pressure. I just didn't do stuff if I didn't want to. Monster, I think his drummer is my drummer's twin. And we just...click.

    I love that saying and it's so true. :)

    ReplyDelete

Visit Tillie N.'s profile on Pinterest.